"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple." — Jack Kerouac (The Dharma Bums)

Monday, June 20, 2011

Jedi Master

I forgot to mention yesterday that I spent a lot of the weekend watching Star Wars. It took three runs of the Empire Strikes Back before I finally caught the part where Luke meets Yoda. I never noticed before just how much he really does sound like Fozzie the bear. (FYI for those not brought up in the world of Jim Henson, Yoda is, in fact, a Muppet of the same voice as Fozzie, Grover, Miss Piggy, Bert, and the Cookie Monster.)

Cubs put up a good effort last night but lost it toward the end. Met a nice man and his son who came up from downstate for the game. Father's day, I think, since he said he has been bringing his son to a Cubs game for his birthday every year since he was five. Turns out he and the friend I came with were born on the same day, just one year a part. No one seemed to think that was as funny a coincidence as me.

The seats were really awesome, though. I did not intentionally buy the very back row again, but I was glad I did. It was great to have another evening, warm this time, looking out at the city and the lake and the baseball game all at once. Afterward, I went to the Gingerman. They had Oberon and Two-Hearted and were playing Wilco's "Via Chicago" when we walked in. We stayed and shot pool. (I won two games on account of accidental 8-ball sinks).

Add to that the crowded bus ride back, and it was a pretty quintessential Chicago evening.
Which, I guess, is all I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment