"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple." — Jack Kerouac (The Dharma Bums)

Friday, August 26, 2011

Notwithstanding

Today, I ordered a rug, and finally came up with lots of decorating ideas. A lot of them specifically involve objects re-purposed for function, or just plain fun, which makes me excited. I need to find a new creative outlet and way to keep artsy for my own sanity.

Other accomplishments include: ****

Seeing the "Top of the Rock" (Rockefeller Center) and the CBS Late Show building.

Finding a dive bar with a good jukebox (and the occasional free shot and free cannoli).

Meeting up with an old friend from Chicago.

Making it through my first classes, and actually understanding the reading.

Doing all my homework.

Walking up and down the stairs in my apartment building at least once a day (on average) instead of taking the elevator all the time.

Buying lots of fresh fruit off the street and not even bothering with Whole Foods.

Cooking omelets and broccoli for myself (hey, at least it's cooking).

Buying six notebooks today for a penny each! And general coupon-clipping.

Learning when to walk away from conversations that a) make me unhappy and b) I don't need to be a part of. (Mostly, I am referring to the table talk at the student housing pizza party that revolved around exams. I moved tables.)

Planning a different outing to a different show with a new music buddy. (!) Or rather !!!, that is [chk chk chk] in Brooklyn in just a couple of weeks. I'm excited. New band. New venue. New friend. New new new = new excitement.

**** I do want to point out that almost none of the things mentioned in my last entry ever happened/came true/still hold. I did not go to that show, or join that gym, or invite anyone upstairs for honey wine after the pizza party. But in spite of all that, I feel pretty good. Not settled, but on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment